Saturday, October 17, 2009
Akuztik Pick 5: CYNDI LAUPER
I don't dig the 80's sound but their are few artists on that decade that its hard to ignore when it comes to their musical skills and talent. One of them is CYNDI LAUPER. She may not be as big as Madonna but the entertainment industry also considers her as an icon.
Forget her colorful hair and fashion sense back then but personally she's one of my favorite female artist. Her songs have proven to be a lot more enduring than those by more critically respected artists of the 1980's. Cyndi has a string of hits that skyrocketed her to stardom. With a multi-platinum albums SHE'S SO UNUSUAL (1984) and TRUE COLORS (1986).
More albums followed in the 90's but not so successful. In 2005, THE BODY ACOUSTIC released and made her back in track. The album is a collection of her old songs done acoustically with the help of an impressive gallery of guest stars. Stream some of the cuts here:
MONEY CHANGES EVERYTHING
- a slower tempo featuring Adam Lazzara, gives an entirely new feeling to the song
- the best song ever written and this acoustic version is truly amazing
TIME AFTER TIME
- a duet with Sara Mclachlan is emotionally satisfying with perfect pacing
- a slower version to sound like a bluesy confessional
ALL THROUGH THE NIGHT
- a great live performance with reggae star Shaggy, whom I normally despise, along with most reggae music. But they did a lot of good to this song...it gets a new, pulsing, rythmic flow. I luv it!
Cyndi Lauper is an incredible performer and entertainer, and has kept her unique voice through the years.
SHE REALLY DESERVES TO BE HEARD AGAIN.